Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"First Observe, Then Serve" --a thank you

Here we are again. I had an experience yesterday that I want to remember and share.

      Eliot is almost 4 months old now and I think I can count on one hand the times I got brave and confident enough to go grocery shopping on my own with my now THREE boys. Yesterday was one of them. I had my two big boys (3 and 2) in the double ride along seat part of the cart and Eliot in my Moby wrap in front.
(This is basically my life, Eliot turned around though)
 
The shopping was great got everything I needed, except later I realized I forgot sour cream, which the husband is happy about I'm sure. Anyways... boys were great and they even got to pick out a sucker to buy with their quarter they earned. By the time we got to the check out stand we are tired. No matter what or how much I go in for it always ends up being a very long trip. I love WinCo. I think it is a great company but part of that great company is bagging your own groceries and well though the kids think it is fun it is the most stressful part of the trip.
 
This time though heaven sent an angel my way. You see I;m still trying to figure out the Moby wrap and well a lady checking out behind me came up and asked if I realized my baby was coming out the side. Well of course I hadn't and it gave me a "what if" panic. I told her I was still trying to figure it out and she gave me a quick few pointers, and told me she was proud of me for wearing it. She then asked if she could help me bag. Well since I was trying to help the boys with their suckers, fix Eliot, and bag I said YES. =) She then gave me a big smile and said good. When most were bagged and kids were under control she turned back to her groceries, in which I did not know, were still sitting on the belt behind us. She then came back and put away my last two items. At some point she told me she had 5 kids out in the car with her oldest. I expressed my gratitude and we departed.
 
As I pulled up to my van with the cart and opened the doors, a large SUV pulled up and out came this woman and her 15 year old son. She told me her son was here to load my groceries and she would show me how to work the Moby. I was a little shocked with her kindness. I felt so blessed.
 
Before she walked away in short conversation she told me she had 5 boys the youngest being 2 months old. She then shared with me a little about being a mom of five. They got back in their vehicle and drove off.
 
Not the end....The big boys were not buckled in yet and were asking for snacks so it took five or so minutes to talk to them and get them buckled in the rest of the way. When I finally sat down in the drivers seat, I saw that SUV drive off. I can't be sure but I think she waited until she knew I was leaving because you know all is not well until you are actually on your way =)
 
So many thoughts but the biggest one is THANK YOU. She was heaven sent. Not that it was a critical moment or even that I was having a hard time but she gave me so much more than help with my groceries or even with my Moby, which will help in the future. But she gave me sight into who I want to be and what I want to teach my children through example. I would be surprised if there wasn't at lest one complaint when she drove over to help me or after the kids thought they were finished then waited for five minutes for me to leave. But I also wouldn't be surprised if that women wasn't telling those boys what life was like for her and just teaching them of helping someone in need. I can hear her taking that opportunity to teach them about love and service and families even.
 
I am not usually in a position to help like she did but I hope that when I am I will take it head on. I hope that I will take as many opportunities that arise to teach my boys to keep their eyes, ears, and spirit open to the needs of others. To see a need and fulfill it. A motto I want to live by and how I view this meeting, "First observe, then Serve." - General Relief Society President, Linda Burton
 
I actually never even asked this woman her name but wherever you are, THANKYOU. Thank you for not only teaching and loving me but also for teaching and loving the next generation. 

3 comments: