Sunday, June 23, 2013

"Be an Example"

The other day I read a blog about how telling young people to be an example can be very damaging. That it can put expectations on the youth that they may never feel like they are living up to. Also it said that they will live for people under a mask and not for Christ. I believe the author had good intentions but I really feel she missed so much.  
   Following is the response I made:



So much insight and so much to think about and consider. I am one of those girls. I am one that grew up desiring to be an example to my friends and to uphold everything I knew to be right and true. I wanted to be everything my Savior wanted me to be and died for me to be able to be. Because of that understanding I wanted everyone else to have the happiness and peace that came from that kind of living. I was outgoing, happy, and involved. My friendships though were rough. I was often called a "goody-two-shoe," and told I was judging people. I felt alone a lot of the times. I never felt like I was hiding behind a mask though. I lived what I really believed and that meant I made mistakes sometimes but I fixed them because that is what Christ taught us to do. It was always so frustrating when my friends would leave my side and treat me badly but the moment they were hurting and needed someone to comfort them and buoy them up they turned to me. It was hard for me but they knew who they could turn to. I loved them so I continued to be there. They had someone that was predictable. They knew where I stood, and they knew I stood with Christ and would always stand with Him. They didn't have to wonder if I had changed my ways. They knew they could come to me for an example of how to get back on to the Lord's path. 
My youth was hard and lonely. I had the comfort of knowing I was a daughter of God and that He was always with me but there was still the desire to have someone tangible, always and not intermittently at my side. But I do not regret being an example.
The peace and blessings it has brought are immeasurable. I have a close relationship with My Lord and my God. I am confident in who I was and who I am and who I am becoming. I have friends from my youth that have expressed gratitude to me for the example I was. Also, I have seen the blessings they have received as they have turned their lives to Christ, the joy that has brought knowing that I was a little piece of their path. I have a husband that I feel has worked just as hard as living a life for Christ and we will be eternally happy with our children. 
As I stood as an example as I was taught I should, sometimes I only stood with God but standing with God has brought experience, growth, and happiness that I would wish upon everyone. I will continue to challenge the youth I work with and my own children to be an example. With that though, I will teach them how, as I teach them of Christ. I will share the price they may pay. Most of all I will express the blessing that will come.

4 comments:

  1. I. LOVE. YOU. Kina. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of perfectionism is a difficult one for many to understand. Why should we strive to attain something that we know isn't possible? It's such a difficult question to answer, and like you, it was one that I always felt I understood, but wasn't able to vocalize well.

    When I was reading in a book called Running Within I read the following:
    A 60 year old athlete we know had set a goal of running under 3 hours in a marathon. After numerous unsuccessful attempts, a friend asked why he persisted in what seemed to be a futile journey into the forest of frustration. The athlete quickly responded that the attainment of the goal was not his ultimate objective. The goal was his excuse to experience a full life of training at high levels, getting into great shape, eating healthy foods, and feeling terrific. The goal simply became the beacon that illuminated his journey toward fitness and wellness.

    Even though it's about running and from a running book when I read this I instantly realized the eternal truthfulness of this story. Yes, we probably won't achieve perfection, but striving for perfection gets us so much farther along than throwing our hands up in the air and just demanding that it's not possible.

    We place these expectations on the youth not to discourage them, but to help them realize that they can do more than they think, because they are capable of it.

    But what do I know, people still call me a goody two shoes - it's literally happened within the last week.
    (Sorry for the super, duper long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! stories alway shelp put another perspective and another way to understand the message.

      Delete
  3. Amy and Kina, you two are able to just say things that I cannot. I am always impressed by both of your comments at church meetings. I have always wished I could speak so eloquently. You two are awesome :)

    Loved this Kina! Keep up blogging, I love it!

    ReplyDelete